Sunday, September 1

Lemming watching. That’s the activity for the day, and the best part about it is that I don’t have to go far to watch them. In the town where I live we have 3 jumps, one of which is a training jump and 2 proper ones, ski jumps that is. For the 2 years that I have been living in Sweden I have wanted to watch some ski jumping but circumstances have been against me. Its not something they do everyday, it takes time to collect enough nutters together who are either brave enough, stupid enough or both to fly down a ramp at break neck speeds.

And before you ask I am not planning to become the next Eddie The Eagle Edwards, my feet are going to stay placed firmly on the ground. Why anyone would want to jump like that is beyond my comprehension. To fly through the air with just two small strips of plastic/metal to land on seems like madness to me. How do you get started in something like that? When you start playing football, you just kick a little ball about. The big kid next door might give you a few rough tackles but unless you’re unlucky he won’t break any of your bones. But with ski jumping it’s a bit different, a wrong move could provide you with a guided tour of the local hospital, which perhaps not surprisingly is located near the jumps.

Its total madness, and that’s why I am going to watch it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home