Wednesday, January 1

The deed has been done. They may say that you cannot change your partner, but I have proof, they are wrong. A week ago Maria was still chearing for "yay other team" whenever I listened to the football on the radio. I believe she would still be chearing for the other team in 50 years time if she hadnt surpised me by saying she would also like to go see todays match. To say I was surpised would be an understatment.

So at 2 this afternoon we found ourselves making our way down Belstead Hill. A sight trek, but a walk with the ground coming gradually more and more into view and the crowd increasing with each turn is a required element of a first game. The pouring rain is not, but you cant have everything. We settled into our seats and waited for the game to begin. The ground has changed dramically since I was last there 2 years ago. I had since the changes on previous return visits but this was the first trip where Ipswich were also playing at home. At the risk of sounding older than my years may I add that i remember when the toilets in that stand looked more like a school bike shed. To see glassed stairways and televisions in the stand came as quite a shock.

It seems that we had choosen a good part of the season for Marias first game. After a terrible start to the season things are starting to look up for the team. The first half started with promise and any fears that maria might just sit there bored for 90 minuites could be put aside. As the game went on little whispers of "go on get up there" and "shoot go on shoot" could be heard. There were quite a few chances but at half time there was still no score.

The events of the second half however were to confirm that someone who consistently supported "yay the other team" could be transformed into an Ipswich fan. A goal from Tommy Miller gave Ipswich the lead, but sensing the need for extra drama Millwall struck back for that added tension. This however is to be a first game of dreams and so instead of fizzling out as a 1-1 draw Ipswich went on to add 3 more goals. Each of which were greeted by a round of appluase by a maria bouncing up and down. I never thjought I would say it, but I think Ipswich may just have found themselves a new supporter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home