Monday, July 1

More and more blogs seem to be growing little sections on their sidebars advertising what their author is currently reading. I had considered doing the same but dismissed it. Partly so as not to be just another clone of other blogs, but mainly due to plain embarrassment. You seemly list wouldn’t contain any weighty titles such as War and Peace or Crime and Punishment. Not even any trashy romance novels either. No you will have to keep lowering your expectations of me and then think a bit lower still I’m afraid. The last book I read from cover to cover was ”Putte flu away”. An action packed adventure about a small boy and his pet canary. Maria bought it for her friends 5 year old daughter. So you can perhaps understand my reluctance to share my reading habits with you. In my defence it is in Swedish and happily I didn’t have any problems with it.

Nevertheless it does become rather depressing having to come down to such a level to be able to ”enjoy” a book without having to reach for the dictionary every paragraph or so. Aimed at such a young audience gripping plots are few and far between. Boy plays with canary near open window – bird flies away- boy looks for bird. I won’t spoil the ending for you but I think you could guess. Depressing as it can be, I am trying to stick with it. Usually I will absorb a few new words with each book and my reading age should improve. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway. At least my next book should be a bit more amusing ”In the worst case – sex and dating”. Amusement and the chance to learn the Swedish for axe murderer, transvestite and impostor…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home