Friday, November 1

Those of you that had a peak at my Wish list are probably thinking that I am mad. The truth is that I probably am. Running the Stockholm half marathon followed by the London marathon and possibly completing the ensemble with the Stockholm marathon will not come easy. Other the course of the next year or so I will most likely curse this decision countless times, but I wont truly mean it. How many times in life do you have the chance fulfil a life’s ambition and met your hero at the same time.

The sound of Ron Goodwin’s theme song to ”The Trap”, the music the bbc use as their signatory to the London Marathon is enough to get me dreaming. The sight of the sea of people bobbing over Tower Bridge makes me want to be there. The picky ones amongst you may point out that I have been there and done it before and so the ”life’s ambition” part is an oversell. Well maybe it is, but the truth, and Maria will probably get all worked up when I say this, I cant be 100 percent proud of my achievements that day. Maria will counter attack with ”you managed to complete 26 miles that’s more than most people would be able to manage” For a while I will forget myself and remind her its 26.2 miles but while it was a great day and really I am proud of finishing, it wasn’t in the style I would have wished. Ever since I have wanted to go back and compete in style.

But what about the hero part? I hear those of you who having dozed off already cry. Well I have chosen to run for the charity Concern, an organisation devoted to the relief, assistance and advancement of people in need in less developed areas of the world. Each year they enter a team of about 30 runners into the race with the team captain of Chris Moon.

Chris has a truly unbelievable attitude to life and if Hollywood were to make a film about him it would probably be panned as being totally unbelievable. As if being one of the few people to survive kidnap by the Khmer Rouge wasn’t enough Chris has completed more than 15 marathons, including the Marathon des Sables, a 137 mile race across the Sahara. A remarking achievement in itself but extraordinary so considering that this was done after losing his lower right leg and right arm while supervising land mine clearance.

So I may be mad but I don’t care ! If you wish to sponsor me you can do so here If you wish to link back to this site please send me a quick email and I will add you to the roll of honour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home