Thursday, December 12

I never thought that it would be easy. In fact I was expecting the fundraising aspect of my challenge to be a pain in the backside to say the least. Really I would like to come up with an original idea that would make it all so much more easier and fun, but then wouldn’t everyone. If I see another page suggesting I sell raw cookie dough I think I am going to scream. A celebrity auction maybe not be the most original idea either but that was where I decided to start.

At times it can feel like I am constantly banging my head against a brick wall. It takes a strong belief in what you are doing is worthwhile and a thick skin coated with Teflon to carry on as the “sorry but we cant help replies flood in”. Don’t get me wrong; I have no problem with the people that are saying no. After all why should they help me? They are probably inundated with similar requests on a weekly if not daily basis. They never asked to be approached and I fully understand their reasons for not being able to help. To make matters worse the collapse of ITV Digital has left many football clubs clinging on for survival, and therefore unable to help freeloaders whether for a charitable cause or otherwise.

It is knowing these factors that makes the arrival of a small package or envelope all the more rewarding. On Wednesday our postman attempted to deliver a package. But as everyone was out all we received was a tantalising “ you have a parcel” slip. We didn’t even know for which member of the family the package was. I felt like a small child on Christmas Eve. What goodies could the Parcel contain while at the same time trying to remain calm. After all Santa might think I hadn’t been a good boy this year and the package could be for someone else.

As it happens I had a mini flood of arrivals. Everton Football Club have sent a signed team photo, Causality and Coronation Street have also sent signed cast photos. And Tony Robinson has sent a signed photo of Baldrick and also signed a copy of a Terry Pratchett audio book tape that he narrated. The moral of my waffle, hang in there it will all work out in the end. As for myself I am going back to writing more letters…

The beginnings of a catalogue can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home