Monday, June 16

Saturday was the day of this years Stockholm Marathon, so a quick well done to everyone who made it around. Ask a marathon runner who fancies themselves as a bit of a comic how the race went, and the chances are they will reply with something like the race went fine, but the lap of honour finished them of. How the winter nights must fly by. It wouldn’t be so bad for them in Stockholm however. The course is made up of 2 laps of more or less the same route. This does provide the wag with an extra joke to giggle, you gonna get lapped you are, chortle chortle. Yeah thanks for the support, side splitting stuff.

I hadn’t really given it much thought after that, until when I watched the race on the television this weekend. It suddenly dawned on me that not only was this a particularly poor joke, it was also the truth. I am going to get lapped. When I get towards halfway the elite runners are going to come flying past looking as if they have only just started. So these are some of the best runners in the world, so there isn’t really any shame in that, but I cant deny that it is going to get on my nerves. I guess the gods are having an ironic giggle to themselves. My punishment for the pleasure received lapping the slower runners in the school pr lessons where the class were forced on mass to run 1500 meters.

So in a year my 3 race challenge will be over and maybe I can return to a normal life. For the time being I must get out there training, I don’t want to be lapped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home