Saturday, July 27

Finally a week of holiday. No crashing toilet rolls or incompetent fools to contend with. It will be good to get some rest in. My body has been complaining that it is tired lately, to the point where my training has gone totally to pot. I think I am going to have to reassess my aims as the hilly 28km race I was training for now seems un realistic. I would be able to scrape around but that’s not the way I would like to do it.

I have tried that before and come away slightly unsatisfied. In April 2000 I found myself with 38,000 other nutters on the start line of the London marathon. I was not prepared as well as I could have been. A change of jobs and a knee injury caused problems with my training. Those were my reasons but I don’t want to sound as if I am making excuses, there is no one to blame but myself. That’s why I don’t want to make the same error again, next time I will be fully prepared.

Having said that I am still glad I entered. It was a truly wonderful experience. All the way around the crowd are so supportive. At first it is slightly disconcerting to have people calling out ”Come on James, keep on going” Do I know these people? They seem to know me, until you realises your name is printed on the front of your shirt. Being passed by 6 beefy paratroopers in an inflatable birthday cake is not an everyday experience either. The camaraderie is second to none, from the start line to the painful step by step waddle down the subway stairs after the race. All in all a great day.

At the end of it all, I can say I made it around in just over 6 hours and raised £1000 for the Rainforest Foundation. My medal and photos still hang on the wall, and nobody besides perhaps a burglar can take that away from me. Even if I did have to use an office chair like a zimmer frame for 2 days afterwards. I am proud that I did it, but at the same time I know I could have done so much better. It is a strange feeling. Ever since I have wanted to run the race again and do a proper job of it. The 28km race in autumn was meant to be the first main step towards this. Now it seems like my goal is set back another year, but rather that than an end result I am not 100% happy with.

At least it gives Paul a chance to train more as well. He will probably deny it as he asked me not to say anything. But I think he should be commended for agreeing to enter and run the marathon with me. Go wish him luck in a comment box on his page.

My reassessed goals:

Rest of the year: various 6 to 10km races
2003: Various 6 to 10km and the 28km race
2004: Stockholm marathon and the 28km local race.
2005: London marathon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home