Friday, July 19

Horay for the dose of english news that doinked its way through my letterbox this week. Always keen to take up an offer I had applied to recieve a complimentary issue of The Weekly Telegraph the global version of the Daily Telegraph. While I can read the swedish papers it takes longer, and I sometimes feel as if i am missing the point that the reporter is trying to make. The parts that I find i miss the most are those that most people probably take for granted. Those small little paragraphs tucked away in the center of the paper that make you chuckle for a second and then are forgotten.

Another problem is that I sometimes wonder if I have mistranslated a word that will totally change the meaning of the whole piece. If I had read the piece on sex education proposed by a Dr Llewelyn Goth-Jones I would just assume that I must have been looking in the wrong part of the dictionary. He was suggesting that parents should "Get your kids to watch while you are having safe recreational sex". He doesnt add that you might like to invite social services around to investigate the uppbringing of your children. He continues "talk it over with them afterwards". To prove he isnt totally wacko he does recognise the fact that every child knows their parents have never had sex with the comment "Dont be surprised if they seem surprised or laugh". Maybe its just me and my "no sex please we're British attitude", but i think even the swedes with their more liberal views on the matter would be surprised by his suggestions. These are the stories I miss, and with an offer of 4 more free issues long may they continue (for a month anyway).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home