Sunday, December 15

Swedes celebrate Lucia day on December the 13th. The day was named after a young girl living in a small village in Syracuse, Sicilian. Lucia became a martyr in the 4th century AD, because of her Christian faith. Lucia was engaged to a man who was not of the Christian faith. He became angry on with her because she gave money to poor families. Lucia was sentenced to die by fire, but the fire did not harm Lucia. So they took her life by a sword instead.

Well that’s the history anyway. I can only speak for how the main church in my local town celebrates this event, as it is the only Lucia that I have witnessed. At first sight it appears a test of faith of a girl selected to be Lucia. Lighted candles are placed in her hair as she leads a long procession up the aisles. Dressed in white the procession sing traditional carols as they slowly make their way around the church with Lucia hoping she doesn’t get burnt. Apparently there is a wet tea cloth hidden away in her hair but I don’t think I would fancy the job all the same.

It is a lovely ceremony. Thankfully the people involved are much more capable singers than myself and do produce a beautiful sight for those who have turned up. I think it is considered an honour to be selected as a Lucia. In reality it appears that the selection process is little more than a beauty pageant in the local papers. It does seem that the Swedes do have a sense of equality however as a few male Lucia’s have been elected. Maybe I should put myself forward next year. Okay so I cant sing but that didn’t stop me being cast as a whistling Father Christmas despite not being able to whistle.

Thanks to Ingrid via Karina for the historic text

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home